FragFX Shark 360
The last time I truly enjoyed console gaming was on the SNES and the Genesis. Being a PC gamer, I had very little interest in the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3, so it wasn’t until about a year ago that I finally broke down and bought a 360. It was an impulse buy because a price cut had just gone in place. The first game I tried was the Kane & Lynch 2 demo. What a mess that was. The demo drops you right into the thick of things and I lasted a couple of seconds per restart.
My Xbox 360 remained relatively unused until the release of the Mass Effect 2 demo, which is when I decided to give it another go. I couldn’t move, couldn’t aim, and Shepard looked like a complete wanker flopping about clumsily unable to make it out of the first room. My pathetic display in Bulletstorm was when I decided that the 360 was only good for puzzle games and platformers.
Being unable to play console shooters is a common complaint for PC gamers. I think you need to be a console kiddy, raised with a controller in your hand, to really get it. I’m sure you can see where I’m going with this. I tried the FragFX Shark 360 from Splitfish and now I can magically play FPS games on the 360. My platform of choice will still be the PC for the unforeseeable future, but my Xbox 360 no longer feels so limited.
The FragFX Shark 360 comes in 3 pieces: the dongle, the mouse and the fragchuck.
- Wireless mouse and fragchuck, each take one AA battery.
- Totally plug and play, only have to set mouse and aiming sensitivity.
- Can be used with the PC. Helps to help justify the cost, and actually plays quite nicely on the PC.
- Headset can still be used for multiplayer games by plugging the set into your wired Xbox 360 controller.
- Mouse and fragchuck can be customized both in-game and out.
- Comes with a large mouse pad which can be used on your lap, on the couch, on your significant others head, or where ever you want to put it.
- Separate aiming sensitivity dial allows for greater precision.
- The Shark is available in some retail stores (such as Walmart).
- You need a wired controller for the Xbox 360 in order to use the FragFX Shark. The Shark itself is wireless, but the controller has to be plugged into the unit regardless.
- The mouse is quite big. No larger than your average gaming mouse, but unless you have big man-hands then will have trouble reaching some of the buttons. Fortunately you can set up binds in a way that you won’t need to use any keys that your stubby, little sausage fingers can’t reach.
- The included dongle will not plug into the back of the Xbox 360, because the casing around it is too thick. You have to use a front port.
- The left and right mouse buttons seem a bit tight.
- The $80 price tag.
The FragFX Shark 360 not only does what it claims and aims to do, it does it very well.
From the Splitfish site:
The FRAGFX SHARK 360 is a significant step forward for the console gaming industry because it not only provides an almost perfect PC mouselike FPS experience for gamers on the XBOX 360, but also provides an easy to adopt, high end, fully programmable analog stick counterpart that make it possible for hardcore PC FPS fans to enjoy their favorite shooters on XBOX 360, MAC or PC.
The Splitfish FRAGFX SHARK 360 lets you play FPS games on a console the way the were originally meant to be played – PLUS MUCH MORE. With the FRAGFX SHARK 360 you can intuitively aim with a mouse and adjust sensitivity on the fly as well as use advance functions like button remapping, turbo, wrist flick melee and much more with ease.
The FRAGFX SHARK 360 is optimized for FPS shooters, but also has all the functions of a regular XBOX 360 controller – so it can be used for all games. Gamers do not have to go through complex procedures for button mapping or sensitivity adjustments, The FRAGFX SHARK 360 is designed for simple and intuitive on the fly customization. Also, just like it’s brother, the FRAGFX SHARK, the FRAGFX SHARK 360 has an uber long battery life of 50 hours of gameplay and 500 hours of standby on 2 AA batteries.
- Play with the mouse on the XBOX 360 as you would do on a PC
- Plug and Play
- Full XBOX 360, PC and MAC support
- NEW 50h + play time
- NEW 500h + power save standby
- 1 AA battery per unit (requires only 2 AA batteries per set – batteries not included)
- Fast access to special features (eg macro, rapid-fire, button swap, stick swap, etc.)
- Brand new wireless 2.4 GHz technology
- Easy in-controller setup (no more firmware updates required)
- On the fly dead zone adjustment wheel
- SixAxis support